In this article, we’ll tell you about the most impressive records of Latin American players in the Major League Baseball World Series. We got the idea from the analysis of the number of players from this part of the world on the 2020 Opening Day rosters.

MLB has gone global long ago and is no longer just America’s pastime. In particular, players from the Latin American nations are beginning to dominate the strongest baseball league in the world. Logically, the majority of players in MLB are American: of the 300 players named on opening day rosters for the 2020 season, 192 were from the USA (64%). The remaining 36% come from North America, South America, Asia, and Europe. But, it’s the Latin American nations, however, that stand out.

The country with the biggest number of players who aren’t of the US nationality currently in MLB is the Dominican Republic: 35 players (11.6%). In second place is Venezuela with 31 players (10.3%). The more Latin American countries featured in double figures are Puerto Rico and Cuba, with 12 (4%) and 11 (3.7%) respectively. They are followed by Curacao (4 or 1.3%), Colombia (3 or 1%), and Aruba and Honduras (1 or 0.3%).

Aside from these 8 countries from Latin America that featured on opening-day rosters this season, there are a further 7 currently represented in wider 40-man rosters: Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama, and Peru.

Let’s now begin with the most impressive records of Latin American players in the MLB World Series.

  1. The first impressive record of a Latino in the World Series is of Juan Soto. He became the youngest player in the history of this face-off to hit a home run, a double, and steal a base. Soto was only 20.
  2. Roberto Clemente couldn’t be absent from this list, being the first Latin player to be the Most Valuable Player of a World Series (1971). He’s one of the Latin American players with the most impressive records of the ‘Fall Classic’.
  3. What about Pablo Sandoval and three home runs in the World Series? In the 2012 World Series, Pablo Sandoval demonstrated power with the bat with three home runs in one game. With this record, the Venezuelan third baseman joined Albert Pujols, Babe Ruth, and Reggie Jackson as the only players to hit three home runs in a game of the ‘Fall Classic’.
  4. Albert Pujols at the 2011 World Series… For ‘The Machine’ there were records one after another in the 2011 World Series. With the St. Louis Cardinals, Pujols became the first player in the history of ‘Fall Classic’ to complete four consecutive innings. The Dominican player also equaled the record for most home runs (3), hits (5), and RBIs (6) in a game of the ‘World Series’ and, in addition, set the mark with 14 total bases.
  5. Adolfo Luque represents the start of everything regarding Latin Americans in the World Series. The first will always be the first. Adolfo Luque from Cuba was the first Latino to play a World Series (1919) by wearing the jersey of the Cincinnati Reds, who faced the Chicago White Sox.
  6. Miguel Cabrera: youth and power. In the 2003 World Series, he became the youngest player to rank fourth in a team’s (Miami Marlins) lineup in a ‘Fall Classic’.
  7. This guy is definitely the legend of the World Series. The Panamanian Mariano Rivera is the player with the most saves (11) in the history of the World Series and with the most appearances in duels (24) of the ‘Fall Classic’.
  8. Orlando Hernández is ‘The Duke’ of the World Series. The pride of Cuba, ‘El Duque’ is the pitcher with the best strikeout rate per nine innings in the World Series: 11.302 strikes in 28.2 innings.
  9. Ozzie Guillén – from Venezuela with love to the MLB. The 2005 World Series had an 88-year spell that was broken by the Chicago White Sox. Ozzie Guillén was the leader of this title and became the first Latin American manager to win ‘Fall Classic’.